Not knocking anyone who uses that title.. I just don't desire to be crowned any one's "wifey".. Specifically since I'm missing a 2 carat marquise cut from my left hand.. And what's a wifey you ask?? According to Webster's "an informal word for wife".. Webster also said that wife means "a woman joined in marriage to a man; a woman considered in relation to her husband; spouse".. I do not have one of "those", a husband or hubby nor do I refer to my man as such.. That's because we're not married.. It's just that simple.. Don't get me wrong, the thought of marriage has crossed my mind.. But I'm in no rush to jump the broom.. My feelings toward marriage are slowly ebbing (for reasons to be defined in a separate post).. I'm not cool with portraying an image that's not true.. Calling a duck a duck if you will.. A girlfriend/boyfriend is just that.. A friend who happens to be male or female..
When you're filing taxes it says separated, married, or single.. There's no box for my boo or my man.. Having children or living with someone for years isn't marriage either.. Unless you live in Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Oklahoma, Texas or DC.. Even those states where common law marriages are "acceptable" cohabitation alone doesn't constitute marriage.. If I live with John Doe for 10 years, have his children, wash his clothes, feed him, fuck him, support him emotionally, pray with him, argue with him and basically perform "wifely" duties, I should actually have the ring, the last name AND the right to check "married" on any form that requests for my marital status.. To perform wifely duties without the formality of a marriage ceremony wold be naive to say the least.. Especially since you could get married for $100.. So don't call me "wifey" unless you put a ring on it.. No Beyonce..
9.21.2010
U Don't Know My Name
SIgned.. Gaia at 12:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The term marriage is practically a 4 letter word to our generation. Since most young men lack the will/emotions/income to make it official, they appropriate the term "wifey" in place of the real thing.
And that's why the divorce rates will continue to rise and tires will continue to be slashed.. The youth are being sold this glamourous dream of relationships, love and marriage.. It's all hard work, the easiest part is walking down the aisle.. but I digress
Post a Comment